Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Anger, Anger, Anger

I stay in Mumbai, which is considered to be comparatively safer than Delhi NCR for women. Still this does not give me an assurance that I can return to the safety of my home at any time of the day or the night. I am regular local train commuter. I travel in the ladies compartment but you know what - I could still get harassed by men if I am not alert . You may ask where is the chance? The chance is on the platform and more so on the overcrowded over bridge. If you stray from the cluster of few women, % chances are there that you would be victimized. The usual modus operandi is that when a women is in the midst of crowd, a sick guy coming towards you would just move his hand so that while passing you he could pinch or feel your butt I have experienced this thrice and twice have been able to hit the guys. At other times I have been able to avoid this by keeping my eyes open and hands ready in hitting position.
The day when I wasn’t so lucky, my head was throbbing and I was burning with anger. I kept wishing if I could hit that BASTARD. This is nothing compared to what a rape victim has to go through. Her trauma is unimaginable. And just think how she must feel when the rapist(s) goes/ go scot-free.
What has been done cannot be undone but if such heinous crime goes unpunished what message are we sending across to the other SICK @$$HOLES? Such guys should be hanged with that very organ which controls their thought process and prevents them from thinking sanely. And they should be hung till it separates from their body leaving them castrated.

P.S. Why do we always have to look upto men for security? The constable guarding the ladies compartment at night are males. What happens if you are the lone traveller and his sense of duty takes a back seat? Why are we at the mercy of men and for how long? Such crimes won't stop until the punishment given to them is SO SO SO cruel that such men would shiver even at the thought of raping a female.

Cameli Sutradhar

No comments: